Female Boat-tailed Grackle During a Dreamy Golden Hour + REWORK

Rework:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was at Anahuac NWR, Texas during a drive around Shoveler’s Pond. I saw this grackle walking around in a patch of flowers and thought it looked kind of dreamy in the late-afternoon light.

Specific Feedback

How to crop - how to treat the flowers in the foreground (I darkened and blurred them).

Technical Details

Fuji X-H2S, 1/2500s, f/8.0, ISO 2000, 600mm

1 Like

My goal (which is rarely realized) is “Put a bird in it”. Meaning find a nice scene that could stand alone and have a bird in that scene. For me, this image accomplishes this very well. Well composed. Beautiful colors and the soft light comes through. My only suggestion might be to remove the white seed head and maybe its stem in the upper right area.

1 Like

@Allen_Brooks Thank you so much! Point taken on the big stem.

A lovely composition, Debbie. The purists might quibble over the tail being lopped off, but I don’t think it matters. The flower field makes a wonderful setting for the Grackle. I htink I agree with Allen on that one stem.

1 Like

Hi Debbie, I love the setting with the bird amongst all the flowers. Nice open beak pose. Besides removing the stem in upper right, you might could try using the Remove tool in Photoshop (if you use PS) to take out the green stalk running vertically through the middle of the bird. The remove tool doesn’t always work but sometimes it does wonders.

1 Like

@Allen_Sparks and @Dennis_Plank I added a redo with the two vertical green stalks/stems removed. I like it better.

1 Like

Good job on the redo. Beautiful.

1 Like

Very nice work on the stem remoals, Debbie.

1 Like

Thank you @Allen_Brooks and @Dennis_Plank !