Female Cardinal

To my surprise today, and couple of Cardinals came to our yard. Had never seen any before, and may not again because our Mockingbirds chased them away. I was able to capture this one. I am not sure what is on her beak. Any thoughts?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D II, Canon 100-400 mm L lens, handheld, through the window. Settings f8, 1/1000, ISO (Auto) 800.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great pose, Shirley. I hope you continue to get them coming by. The detail in the cardinal and the eye contact are very good. I’m not sure what’s on the beak, though it looks like an insect to me.

1 Like

Very well captured and presented, Shirley. The cardinal is very sharp and stands out amidst the greens. I also like that you the cardinal looking in your direction. I also think the bump on its beak is an insect, perhaps a lady bug or something similar.

1 Like