Female Eastern Bluebird

Image Description

The bluebirds starting nest building early this season. I discovered this morning that there are already chicks in the next box. I placed a stick on top of the box for the adults to perch on before feeding the chicks. Here are a couple shots of the female.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I’m glad I captured a frontside and backside view of the female with a glance towards the camera. I usually shoot these nesting birds in early sunlight but took a go of it on this cloudy day. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod
ISO 1600, f10, 1/500s

Processed with DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

I like both of these, Allen. The BG really makes them stand out. They have nice perches too. Catching them with dinner in their mouth is a real bonus. I can’t think of anything that would improve either shot.

1 Like

Oh these two are going to be run ragged! So nice they you have them to hand and given them a ready perch. Looks like the focus is right where it needs to be. Mid tones could come up a trifle in both I think and maybe a slight cooling for the second. The new rig is doing you proud!

1 Like

Gorgeous!! Wonderful poses, perches, BG and lighting! No way I could suggest any improvements here.

I just put the first house up – am I too late? – and no visitors yet, but there are quite a few of them around.

1 Like

HI Allen
I feel like I am at the eye doctors, is better 1 or 2? Both photographs are very nice.
Peter

Both images are technically excellent, Allen. The colors feel about right for our bluebirds out here though many people like to make the oranges pop a bit more. Nice choice of a perch-very natural and a good size for them. Cloudy days are my favorite!

Beautiful shots of these wonderful birds. Great BGs. I couldn’t choose between the two which one I like best. We’re still waiting for them to arrive in the NE. Not a think I would improve!