Eastern Bluebird with fly

Image Description

First photo: The male bluebird came in this morning while I was out at the nest box. Thought I’d share.

Second photo is the female again. Note the slug on the perch.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I try to render realistic colors which can be a challenge not to push the saturation too far. Any thoughts?
Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod
ISO 2500, f8, 1/250s

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop

1 Like

Both of these are excellent, Allen. The prey in the beaks helps tell the story that they’re already feeding babies (amazing). The slug on the perch int he female shot is a wonderful bonus. I think the colors look pretty much right on, though my familiarity is with the Western Bluebird and there are slight differences. The female looks like she’s already starting to show a little feather wear from going in and out of the box which adds to the natural look of the image.

Allen, these look spot on for the colors for the Eastern Bluebirds. Wonderful details and a BG that makes them stand out nicely. The lunch in their beaks is an added bonus. Great job on both, in my opinion!

Allen, these are so cool. I love both images. Both have some action going on. I hesitate to comment on colors, but they look fine to me.

Well done.

Wonderful, with gorgeous detail and lighting!! I love the BG color in the second, and she chose the perfect spot on the perch. Hoping to see a lot more of these two and the kids!

How did they miss that slug? It looks delicious!

Outstanding detail, Allen. I have seen a few Bluebirds while living in Colorado, and IMHO the color is outstanding!

Oh boy they’re busy already. Really gorgeous light you have. It suits them so well. Makes them almost glow.

I think the saturation is pretty spot on from what I remember of bluebirds. They are vivid, but not so much as an Indigo bunting and not as variegated like a Blue jay. The oranges look good in the breast feathers as well.

The dinner delivery is a nice aspect, but I bet that slug didn’t stay safe for long! :laughing:

HI Allen
Nice work and I agree with all of the above.
Peter