Eastern Bluebird, male + repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The bluebirds are feeding brood #3 in our yard nest box now. The dad brought in some kind of moth. Shot this morning.
Hoping for four broods this year.

Specific Feedback

Any.

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod
ISO 2500, f10, 1/200s

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop/Nik Viveza 3.

1 Like

Dad’s looking awfully spruce for brood number 3, Allen. By that time ours are looking downright bedraggled. You caught a very nice pose with just an extra little bit of energy in it that I like. The moth makes a nice addition. I always find it interesting how the staple foods for the youngsters changes from brood to brood.

Well done! Sometimes I am a bit squeamish looking at bugs, but this has enough lovely colour and detail to more than distract me! A great nature story!

Gorgeous pose, perch, color and detail, with the bug being a perfect cherry on top of the sundae!

Perfect pose - nice and sharp - great perch

Minor suggestion - desaturate green a little in the background

I’m envious!

Thanks for the suggestion Karl. Here’s a rework with less BG saturation - I think it helps.

The green looks less contrasty and more natural - well dopne @Allen_Sparks !

Repost is spot on. Everything is softer and more nuanced than in the original. Agree that he looks rather good for having so many clutches back to back. Feel bad for prey - I always do, but it’s how it goes. I also like the lichens on the branch, it adds some texture and added context.