Female Finch + Repost

I looked out my window one morning last week and saw this Finch sitting on the limb so I ran and got my new R5 camera and took a few clicks through the window.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything that would improve the shot.

Technical Details

Canon R5 with Sigma 150-600mm C lens at 562mm. Settings manual except auto ISO. F6.3, 1/3200 (I should have knocked that down but was anxious to get the shot and forgot what I had the shutter speed on) and ISO 5000. I was amazed that with the help of LR and Topaz AI Clear the noise was acceptable.

Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions on improving this image. I have cropped to vertical as @David_Bostock and @Dennis_Plank suggested and added a bit of contrast as @Gary_Minish suggested. I think that was all of the suggestions. Thanks again.

3 Likes

Excellent job on the pose, composition, and background. Detail looks good for a shot through the window.

1 Like

Shirley, a beautiful bird, beautiful background. I think it works nicely as is, but could also see a vertical crop…Wonderful catch.

1 Like

Hi Shirley
Nice reaction time (grabbing the camera and taking this shot). The detail looks good for photographing the Finch through a window. The high light for me is the sun light on the Finch head.
Peter

1 Like

Well done, Shirley. Your windows are obviously cleaner than mine!

2 Likes

Lickable light to die for. OMG just look at that gorgeous little creature. Just super. I do the same thing, btw, and ran for the camera for fawns the other day. Not sure I got anything near as good as this, so thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Shirley, that’s the sort of bird shot Jan Wegener keeps showing us on YouTube. What a great background.

Gorgeous light and a lovely pose, Shirley. With the steep angle of the perch and the vertical posture of the bird, a vertical crop would work nicely as well.

Lovely image Shirley! Love the light on the top of the bird and the background is wonderful. Really, really nice!

1 Like

This is a very pretty image of this finch, Shirley! As others have said, the detail is quite impressive, especially for being shot through a window! The background is perfect for the colors of the bird and the overall softness makes for a pleasing mood. I wonder if a tiny bit of additional contrast on the whole image would make it a little more striking?

The repost is excellent, Shirley.

1 Like

I like the vertical crop. Good look at the finch against a fantastic background.

1 Like

Repost is compositionally better!

1 Like