Female House Finch

This little girl just posed for me in our blooming pear tree. I shot it through our bathroom window.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Are the leaves still too bright in the background. I tried to calm them down some.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything you can think of to improve the shot.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Shot with Canon 7D II, Canon 100-400 mm L lens, handheld. Settings f8, 1/1000, ISO (Auto) 500.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice pose and good detail. You might trying decreasing the highlights o the leaves and see if that works, but fine scene as is.

1 Like

Hi Shirley. I like the scene, but I do find some of the highlights, particularly in the immediate vicinity of the bird, distracting. To my eye, the bird also looks a little dull-almost like a touch of haze in this image. I downloaded this one and cropped it a bit tighter, used the color picker to choose some darker colors in the immediate vicinity of the brighter spots and painted over them with a relatively low opacity and very soft brush, and applied a minimal curves layer to the bird itself. See what you think.

I think I like it! Thanks, Dennis. I am guessing you did all of this in Photoshop? I have got to start working in it. Very nice improvements. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Yes-Photoshop. I selected the bird using Topaz Remask, but any selection method would work.

1 Like