Female Hooded Merganser

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

Taken before sunset in late afternoon today. This female and a female companion have been hanging out for a few days.

iso 400, 100-400 plus 1.4X, f8, 500th, Fujifilm X-T3, handheld, 30% of full frame, no flash, ACR latest version, Topaz Adjust, TK sharpening action at 10%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A nice composition, David, and it looks like you’ve really dialed in your sharpening. The plumage has plenty of detail without looking the least bit overdone. I like the way the crest shows so well.

A nice sharp look at the merganser. I like the water color as well.

I love Mergansers and don’t get to see them enough. I agree with previous comments. It’s a very pleasing photo.

David, this is a good look at the hood feature and plumage, and pretty respectable detail for only 30% of full frame. You also have nice square-on pose, eye contact and catchlight. My only nit, just minor, is that it needs about 1 1/2 to 2 degrees of CW rotation. Not necessarily because of the wavelets so much (that slight kilter naturally occurs sometimes depending on prevailing wind). But notice the waterline right at the bird’s body also has about the same slope. Overall it’s a nice image that’s well exposed. And optionally, other slightly wider frames might be worth trying. For me the reflective light on the water is a fine engaging component that supports this pretty species.