Out of Here

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’m just learning my new camera, an OM-1 Mark II and I came across these three Hooded Mergansers in a pond. Of course they decided my presence was not welcome so I was forced to practice tracking. I like the motion of the three birds and not freezing the wings with too high of a shutter speed.

Specific Feedback

Post processing is a challenge for me as I am just learning.

Technical Details

OM-1 Mark II
Olympus 300mm F4.
1/640 sec @ f 4.0 ISO 2500
(I am just learning auto exposure having mainly used manual)
I used Lightroom for basic RAW adjustments
Topaz Denoise
Photoshop using this technique for the first time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8rs6jONGf8

An interesting image; has an almost abstract feel to it. I think you captured the sense of abrupt flight that is (annoyingly) notorious in these birds. Good job in getting the male’s head sharp.

Hi Greg, I like the mood of this image with all the action going on around but the head of the male reasonably sharp as Allen states above. Whites on the male look good to me. Interesting image.

A very interesting image as stated by the two Allens, Greg. Normally I’d like the male positioned a bit further to the right in the frame, but that would require cutting off the tail of the female on that side, so this looks like the best compromise. I’d say you did a very good job of tracking to get the head that sharp at 1/640th. The processing looks good to me-it ended up with a kind of mysterious feel that makes it interesting.