Hooded Merganser

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? The image, originally un-cropped, seemed to need a bit more room on the top and the right side (which I added). Does it work? Need more, or less?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/500 at f6.3; ISO 320

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

I really enjoy the lighting on this image. Creates a really nice mood. Iā€™d opt for more room on the right to answer your specific question as the eye is still nearly dead center left to right.

1 Like

Nice one, love the clair-obscur sort of feeling. Preferably the blackishness should have frame the bird all around, but still fine as presented ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

A very nice capture, Allen. I like the greenish lighter background that makes the head of the duck stand out nicely. Wonderful details and lighting.

1 Like

The light is gorgeous here, Allen, and I think your space on the top and right are just about perfect. The only issue I have with the image is the reflection of the bright spot on the bill that keeps drawing my eye. I think you can subdue it with a little careful cloning or perhaps crop up from the bottom to the reflected body.

1 Like

Very nice, Allen! Love the lighting and the detail is excellent. I agree with Keith that a little less centered would be nice but it would lose some of those nice circular ripples also, so hard to say.