Would you look at that!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

There’s sometimes a tendency (usually incorrect, I suspect) to give human emotions to animals. This strikes me as a wide-eyed look of amazement at something and I like that both mergansers have the same look. Not sure what they saw, but they flew off shortly after the shot was taken. A shot, which of course, I was not able to get.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated. Obviously the focus was on the eye of the male.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/640 at f7.1; ISO 320

The wide eyes and raised crests certainly make it look like something is out there that they’re reacting to. Emotions didn’t wait to appear until humans came on the scene. We inherited them from a long, long line of predecessors, and I’m sure we can sometimes read those of other species.

1 Like

This is a great behavior shot, Allen. Mergansers are such fun birds. Nicely done.

1 Like

I totally can relate to your interpretation - two looks of almost disbelief :wink: … Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Nice catch of this pair Allen. These are really snappy looking birds. Great expressions you caught.

1 Like