Female Northern Harrier

D500, 500mm (300 f2.8 w/ 1.7tc) f4.8, 1/2500, iso2200
Steigerwald NWR

5 Likes

Hi Dan, glad to see you back. Love the head on look from the harrier and the wing position. Complimentary background too. Minor nits to me are seeing some noise in the wings at the largest image size (I’d try backing off sharpening some) and perhaps a version with a little less room on left and more on right. Very fine pose and capture.

Great look at the harrier. I like that eyes are pointed at the viewer and the detail looks good to me. Nice one.

Hello, Dan, what an amazing shot of this harrier. Love the way it looks towards the camera. Background works nice along. Agree with Allen (Sparks) on the noise. I encounter this also with my D500 every now and then. Other than that a killer image ! Cheers, Hans

A truly stunning image here, Dan. Love this one… :+1:

Oh… this is lovely. The head turn makes this one truly sing. Lovely pleasing background that adds to a great color palette. I read the comments about noise… I just don’t see it and think your image looks great. We’re all looking at a compressed jpeg. You have the RAW file. You’re more than capable of making an informed decision on that, not us pixel peeping a compressed jpeg.

Oh Dan, what a shot! That head turn and stare really makes this shot. The only nit I have is…it isn’t mine!!! Love that smooth background as well.

Welcome back, Dan. That’s an amazing shot of the Harrier. As Keith mentioned, the head turn is the sort of thing that doesn’t happen to bird photographers anywhere near as often as we’d like and getting a shot this close is astounding. I am seeing just hint of noise in the bird, but certainly not enough to matter at any reasonable viewing distance. The light is wonderful and I like the background as well, though I might be tempted to burn in the light patch just to the right of the bird a touch as it does tend to pull my eye a bit. Excellent work.

Hi, Dan. I can’t add much the others here haven’t noted. If it was mine, I wouldn’t mess with it too much; it’s a super image as is.
Best,
Terry

Excellent shot. No nits here. I don’t see any noise that is a concern. I like the crop just the way it is.

Congrats on a stunning capture! I’d be stoked to have shot this.

Super shot Dan, the eye contact is awesome and the background works great with the subject. If you have a touch more room on the bottom I could see including that. Wonderful image.

Thanks Nate and everyone, glad you liked it!