Fern Rollout Repost

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Canon 5D MarkIII, with Canon 180 macro lens, f5, ISO 5000, aperture 4.5 at 1/200 sec and 252mm. This was taken in an area with a large fern growth and wild blackberry plants. The area was an old tobacco bed as Southern Marylanders call it. Repost-Cloned out top fiddle heads and sharpened after stepping down on contrast a bit.

1 Like

John: Looking at your techs it must have been pretty dark. I like your selective focus on this unusual plant. Nice find and a fine capture. >=))>

Hi Bill, this scene and subject was under low branches with moss. It was not lit well but a vgnette was applied in Photoshop to highlight the fern curls. My Canon 180 Macro has 1.4III Extender and extension tube which affects lighting, I believe.
Thanks,
Wayne

Hi John, I believe these are fiddleheads, very popular up in Nova Scotia and you can buy them locally down here…delicious steamed! I like your rendition here and I think the moss sets off the young curled-up plant nicely with all the tiny white hairs (I’m sure there’s a more scientific name for them, lol). The vignet works well to frame everything too. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Jim, Didn’t remember the eating part, thanks for reminding me. Appreciate your comment.
Wayne

I like the vignetting of this, John, it really brings up the ferns nicely. It’s a slight shame you had to cut off the topmost curl, and I might like to see a little more in focus, but I guess the shot cannot have been that easy. I also like the textures of the fern and moss - you’ve brought those out beautifully.

Hi Ian, Thanks for comments. Took your suggestions and believe it hit the mark this time.

Wayne

I like the changes you made John; the composition is less busy now. As it happens, was out hiking in the CT woods yesterday and found some fiddleheads :grinning:. This is more of a snapshot than a photograph.

Hi, Jim

Was out this morning looking for fiddleheads, deer really likes them too. Brought a few home to google a recipe for steaming them. Your center grouping looks good to me.

Wayne

Correction. After showing my photos to our refuge wildlife biologist, she identified them as Christmas ferns, not fiddleheads. Mia Culpa!

Thanks Jim, I also understand that the “Christmas Fern” is not eatable as is the “Fiddlehead.”