Ferns 2

On fern quest with Ed. Seems they love to hug pines especially.

Specific Feedback Requested

Comp/processing. Is the depth of field a problem here? Not sure what I could have done differently given low light and wind.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
132 mm, f/14 160/sec iso 12800
Windy Day

2 Likes

I love this to pieces, Mario and I have to laugh because I have one very similar, but not showing as much of the two ferns. The light here is to die for and the textures a delight. The two stems and their angles really anchor the geometry. The gradation of green is so well presented, too. It’s a little tight at the top, but not enough to detract from the overall strength of the composition. Ferns are notorious for playing in breezes, so good job with that. 12000 iso is pretty ambitious, but looks great.

Mario, a very good fern composition. The colors and light are well handled. No suggestions for improvements. Just an idea that a horizontal flip may improve the impression of the image further.

ISO 12,800, you must have a great camera sensor/processing skills, this does not look like 12,800.

This is a very effective way to simplify and isolate the ferns. The textures and shapes of the ferns contrast nicely against the tree bark too. The simple composition makes for a nice intimate portrait of the ferns. I think this image works equally well as presented, or flipped as suggested by @Ola_Jovall.

And with these shapes and textures, this might look pretty good in B&W as well, although the greys and green make for a nice combination in color.

Ed it’s a Sony aloha 7III

Nice and simple, Mario, nice and simple.

THank you @Kris_Smith @Ola_Jovall @Ed_McGuirk @joaoquintela for taking toime to comment and edit. Ola, I like the flip but I am not sure why!!! What do yoou see as the difference?

I think this is such a lovely image - simple but very effective with the textures and colour palette.
Compositionally wise for me it works better flipped, I’m not sure why but I always prefer left to right, although I do agree with others that it also works well as it is. ISO 12800 - wow!

Hi Mario. I love this type of image. The color mix is wonderful and lots of great texture. I have a different idea for this; not better necessarily, just different. I wanted to really put the focus on the fern so I darkened the bark a good bit and then selectively burned and dodged the fern and even boosted the fern saturation a little. It would be easier to do it from the initial RAW image but you can get the idea here.

Thank you @Sammi_Wilson @Bill_Chambers . Bill I actually had a version where I darkened the bark but decided I liked the texture too much. But you may be correct in that darkening does focus more attention to the fern. I like the rework.