Ferruginous Flying

Every season I anxiously await the arrival of the migrating ferruginous hawks here. Typically, they don’t start showing up for a couple months from now. I was delighted to see, and shoot this handsome devil yesterday. Yay! They’re back.

Specific Feedback Requested

Cropping? Can you tolerate the plain blue background?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 f lens, hand held, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 340mm, ISO 900, cropped to 4974 x 3881

Hi Dave, nice catch - I love the pose of the bird with it angled toward us and good view of the eye. The spread tail is awesome too. I’m fine with the natural blue background but I could see cropping some on the left and adding to the right of the image. The whites look OK but you may consider toning them down a tad as the the top underwing is quite bright. A nice capture and glad these birds are coming back to your area.

Beautiful shot of the bird with wonderful detail! I think you could try to bring down the whites just a bit, to see if there is a touch of tonal detail there, but no huge deal. The plain sky works for me but it’s saturation might be brought down just a bit.

Nice job, Dave. I love the wing position. I agree that the brightest whites could come down just a trifle.

I treated the blue some and reduced the white brightness a bit. Better?

Hi Dave
Having never seen a Ferruginous Hawks before, I had to look it up and found it was a western US hawk, witch explains way there hard to find in CT. You did a very good job with the color balance, white detail and over all action. I always hope for more than a blue sky, but you can only photograph what is there. The second posting looks better.
Peter

Very nice, Dave. Love the details in the bird. Well done.

This is a really handsome guy, Dave. Great capture. Good wing position and detail. I love the legs hanging down slightly and the intent look in the eye.