Fiery Throated Hummingbirds]

I took this image of two Fiery Throated Hummingbirds in Costa Rica last March. The open bills, called dishesence, is a way to warn territorial invaders.

The second image is the original and I feel it has too much of a color cast, too much saturation, and noise issues. The first is the improvement. There is a one frame difference in the images (at 8FPS)

Iso-2000, 300 mm PF, F8, 1000th, D 500, handheld, no flash, 70% of full frame, minor cloning, Overcast and under the jungle canopy.

This was taken on a deck at an eco-lodge. Background was similar from every position.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

David, yes very noticeable difference overall. As you stated the second is definitely “louder” with regard to color cast / saturation. Lot’s of blue /cyan to my eye. The first image is much improved and appearing more natural in the setting there…:+1:

Only thought for possible further change might be to do a slight toning or turn-down in highlights on the well processed image…:thinking:

David, this is a fine (and fun) behavioral catch. The poses are great, love the open beaks. Yes the new version looks much more realistic both in their colors and in the overall brightness. I too think that a slight darkening of the latest one (or some burning in of the highlights) would be a good addition.

David, This is a great image. I love the very colorful birds and the fighting pose. The new image is an improvement. I like the softer background and the less saturated colors of the birds. Very nice work.

David, you clicked the shutter at the right time on these little guys. Love their beaks open. Looks like they are having an argument. I love the processing in the first image. Nice improvement in the colors.

A very nice shot with great interaction and gorgeous colors, David. I’m not sure how I missed this one.

I love this image. The interaction between the 2 hummers is awesome. I do like the second image a bit better. To me it brings out the details a bit better than the first image.