Final goodbye

Original

Re-post

Spotted these leaves, on our local nature trail, just glowing in a spot of sunlight.
Seemed like a good example of fall’s finale goodbye.

I would appreciate any thoughts, comments or suggestions you might have.

Nikon D7200, f/3.5, 1/320sec., iso 320 @105mm, tripod. Cropped a bit off the top and right side. Did a bit of color balance.
Thanks

1 Like

This is one of my favorite subjects this time of year - backlit leaves with shadows. It’s a beautiful photo. I could see having a bit more room around all the sides, but it works as is, too.

Good look at the last of autumn. I would be inclined to blur the sharp part of the right leaf. The sharp part gives me a bit of ping pong between the main leaf and the other. I like Bonnie’s idea of a bit more room, too.

1 Like

You’ve managed to isolate two leaves beautifully; something I always find difficult.

I’m a big fan of letting subjects breathe, so I agree with Bonnie, but this is a fine image the way it is. I also like Harley’s suggestion of blurring the far leaf.

I like the colours and I especially like the shapes of the shadows showing through.

Linda, this is a fine image as is. I like the back lighting providing some x-ray vision on the leaf structure overall… :+1:
I’m with Harley on blurring the area on the right leaf to eliminate a bit of eye wander there. Adding a bit of buffer zone around the image would be an additional plus. But neither ideas are nits just some thoughts of other looks… :thinking:

Linda, this is a fine look at the end of season leaves. I love how you isolated them so nicely. I like the suggestions that have been offered, as I think they all may improve an already excellent shot. :+1: :+1:

Linda, these two leaves certainly speak to late fall. The lighting adds a touch of warmth even as the colors are a bit of melancholy. I like the frame filling view and the shadow of the stem on the main leaf. The second leaf is a fine addition, although I agree that a subtle blurring of it’s sharp edge would keep it more as background.

Thank you, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Harley_Goldman, @glennie, @Paul_Breitkreuz, @Shirley_Freeman and @Mark_Seaver for sharing your thoughts and comments. I did re-post with additional space around the leaves and also blurred / burned the leaf in the background just a bit. Definitely like the suggestions you all have made. You inspire me to try harder to be a better - more observant and purposeful - photographer. Thank you.

1 Like

Yes, an excellent rework. All the minor adjustments did make for a better final image IMO… :+1:

1 Like

Yes, I really like the improvements. Very nice.

Repost looks good! Nicely done on the changes.

Wonderful Repost! Your efforts have paid off.

Oh yes, the repost is great. I like the more purple-hued background.

I’m late here but have to add another thumbs up for this one – a lovely observation translated to a lovely image. I do like the added room but prefer the color in the original (at least of the leaves). I don’t mind the sharp edge on the other leaf – it keeps me trying to decide which one I like best and then settling on “both”.

Thanks, @Diane_Miller. I have been experimenting with the curve adjustment gray point and like what it does, but am not very good at repeating results. Still working on that. Thanks again for your thoughts.