Find that soul (+1 re-edit)

A bit of stone wall added with some cloning -

Kristen_SmithDecember 02, 2012IMG_0001.DNG-7-Edit-2

Old Hill Cemetery in Londonderry, NH (est. 1733) appears to be the town’s earliest. It has some very old and beautiful stones (including the founder of the Macks of Mack’s Apple fame) that I wanted to photograph with better light to bring up the detail, but sadly didn’t before moving to Wisconsin. This session was all about the fog though. I really miss these old cemeteries and spent many happy hours photographing them.

Just recently, New Hampshire Magazine contacted me to buy a photo from this session for the October issue, I’m pretty stoked about that.

Specific Feedback Requested

Obviously I can’t go back and reshoot, but I do have more views and things I could do to improve.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld standing on the other side of the road since the wall is right up against it. So many stone walls are in that region. I miss those, too.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Great eerie mood and scene. I might like to see more of the foreground boulders, but only you know what was lurking there.

Love this scene, Kris. The fog, the overhead branches coming in from both sides, and the mystery behind the rock wall. Clearly we know it’s a cemetery, but I want to explore it more. Nice work indeed. I don’t know if this would work, but perhaps crop just enough off the left that the rock wall is at the edge? I think you’d still have enough of the tree up the left side…but maybe not.

In any case, excellent image.

Lovely and moody – an amazing subject well captured! I love the limbs reaching out protectively. I think @David_Bostock’s point might be dealt with by cloning in another piece of rock in that corner.

1 Like

Ahhh… another foggy image! The mood it creates with this scene is fantastic. I like everything about this image, but might look at completing that rock wall in the front with a clone. A very minor point. Nicely done!

Thanks @Harley_Goldman @David_Bostock @Diane_Miller & @Keith_Bauer - I practically ran out the door when I saw that it was foggy and I’m so glad I did now I don’t live in NH anymore. Of course I chase fog here in Wisconsin, too, but our graveyards are too modern and characterless by comparison and I have no desire to shoot them. The stone walls are part of the charm and all the parallel lines in this just make it for me. I’ll put a few more cemetery images up since I shot them so much and I have many that are really cool. Some with fog, too.

I hadn’t thought about cloning the stone wall, but I could. I got rid of a very dark branch hanging into the scene that was really awful. It was on a tree closer to me than the wall and so not so shrouded in fog. Glad I have the tools to do that now, but I sometimes forget the extent of manipulation I can bring to bear.

:+1: on the Re-edit, Kris.

1 Like