Irish Fog

Taken handheld whilst driving west of Galway ( Leanaun ) - weather unpredictable of course, but also made for some decent photo opps

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything - technical or artistic

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
116mm at F 7.1 handheld

2 Likes

Nice image Karl. For what is essentially a 50/50 horizon, the comp still feels dynamic due to the undulating nature of the ridgelines, so overall the composition feels well balanced. I like the texture and the colors in the landscape (and that the two mountains look so different in this regard). I enjoy seeing dynamic weather like this, it is working very well for you here.

To me the sky looks like it has a slight green color cast, although that is not the case in the landscape (it is Ireland after all). I might also clone away the telephone poles near the bottom too. Here is a rework with reduced green in the sky (land untouched) and the cloning.

I don’t see it as a color image at all so I went for a B&W treatment. You have quite a few dust bunnies that don’t show in color as much as they do in B&W. I also cloned out a few of the telephone poles.

1 Like

Thanks!

I didnt think of a black n white option - one thing though, points to a good process of cleaning dust spots
Besides that, I might trying on making the sky more dramatic

1 Like

I was going to say exactly what @Ed_McGuirk mentioned about the green cast! This is a lovely location though and some really cool light on the foreground hills. The black and white from @Chris_Calohan is a great idea as well, I agree with you though that it could be a bit more dramatic with some more work! I think by doing so you could draw added attention to the slope on the right and the texture in the hills on the left.

1 Like

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk , @Chris_Calohan , @David_Wallace

Now I feel that the sky ( besides the color cast and dust spots ) may need a lttle more work - perhaps to infuse some contrast and depth, yet keeping the fog, fog

I prefer the original warm cast to the rework.

1 Like