Foggy road

Hi, this is one of the first images from my vacation to Madeira.

Near one of most higher peaks of the island this road was covered with fog.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Exposure and colour balance, what would you change? :slight_smile:

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition, maybe a crop? Are the trees using to much frame?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

A hand held shot with some colour and exposure correction on LR.

Many thanks :slight_smile:

@jferrao88

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Joao,
The greens are lovely and the road does a very nice job of drawing the viewer into the scene to the fog in the BG. This probably sounds radical, but I would crop about 1/2 way down from the top to get rid of those areas of blank sky. without those bright areas my eye stays in the scene to enjoy the peaceful mood with trees and the fog. Just a suggestion of course.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try that crop later and post the result :slight_smile:

Mist and forests are perfect together, and the light seen above the road here is great, as are all the lush Madeira greens. I had the pleasure visiting Maderia last year and I definitely want to go back!

I agree with Ed’s suggestion, cropping the top part. My eyes are drawn to the sky too much because it’s overexposed. Opening your file I also see that it’s missing sharpness/detail up there. Maybe it’s movement, or just the overexposing. That very long branch almost crossing the whole frame also gets too much attention in my opinion. Cropping just below that one improves the ‘feel’ of the forest road for me. Maybe clone out the part of the fence in the lower right corner.

1 Like

Thanks for the coment. Yes, Madeira is beautiful, it was the second time I went there, but the first with my camera, and I just wish I had more time to photograph the island.

The fence also bugged me a bit, ill try the crop and remove it. (It will be a good opportunity to resurface some Photoshop skills eheh)

João,

Classic rendition of the long road and the “light at the end of the tunnel” effect. I actually think the extreme vertical enhances that - especially given that you’re emphasizing the trees and the road is seemingly just an accent.

Having said that, it’s not the bright areas up top, but like Ron points out, it’s the horizontal branch that really breaks this up. It’s not a huge distraction per se, but it breaks up that vertical-ness that I think you were attracted to by including so much of the very tall trees.

I like what you saw and captured; very effective.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks for the response @Lon_Overacker, i liked the tall trees and on the moment didnt want to cut them.

@Ed_Lowe and @Ron_Jansen after cropping i see you guys point, it was a quick crop but the eyes are more drawn to the road. Ill try to edit out that fence later. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the rework a lot, it significantly improves the image. A viewers eyes are naturally drawn to bright areas within an image, and I like to compose images so that dark and bright areas direct the viewers eye to what I want them to. In this case the fog at the end of the road is simply marvelous, and your rework’s crop gets rid of all the bright area at the top that was pulling my eye away from the end of the road. Even in your rework, I would still consider burning down the brightest area at the top even more.

I really like the tall bank on the right side of the road, the light hitting that bank does a great job of moving your eye down the road as well. I like leading lines that actually lead your eye to something interesting, and the fog in the distance is a great place for my eye to end up.

1 Like

@Ed_McGuirk thanks for the kind coment and for all the feedback :slight_smile: