Old Sol's Old Soul

Was driving to another location to do fog shots when this view appeared on the side of the road. Serendipitous, I guess that of all the shots I got that day, the unexpected location provided the best image on the card.

Specific Feedback Requested

Just wonder if the reflections in the water are too bright.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D810, 80-400 @ 80mm, f/8 , 1/250, ISO 400

Other than a crop and lowering the highlights in ACR. I did nothing else.

1 Like

A bit moody and mysterious; I like this Chris. For my tastes the reflections are not to bright, but just a little dark. I generally shoot more horizontals than verticals, but for here I like a vertical better as I think it places more of an emphasis on that wonderful tree that caught your attention in the first place. I hope you don’t mind, but here is a rework with a crop and a little levels adjustment to lighten the scene just a touch. Just my opinion of course.

2 Likes

Wonderful image. I don’t find the reflections to bright. The sun barely peeking through the fog is the brightest part of the image to me and the center placement of that helps keep my attention on the central tree.

1 Like

Very moody and mysterious and well done. I prefer the darker version in the original.

I agree, Harley. While I appreciate Ed’s edit, I tried the vertical composition with lightening the mist and felt it didn’t convey enough of the mystique.

Sometimes having more space around the subject causes the environment to affect the sense of the image as a whole. I think that’s the case here.

1 Like

A great find! I would have gone with a more vertical crop, as @Ed_Lowe did. For me, the horizontal would work better with the tree more off-center.