Old Sol's Old Soul

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A serendipitous catch as I drove toward the beach hoping for some stellar fog shots. I did get some, but in the end, this emerged as my favorite of the day.

Specific Feedback

I’m game for whatever.

Technical Details

Nikon D810, Tokina 17-35 @ 32mm

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

The richness of tones looks wonderful. I also like the idea of the tree and the sun peering through the mist. The only suggestion is that I wish was to the right of the tree. One thing I would try is to make a 4x5 vertical with the tree centered. I say that because I remember an Ansel Adams oak shot to great effect in that manner. The rule of thirds doesn’t work for me in this image. However, tomorrow is another day and I could see things differently.

Thanks, Igor. I generally don’t adhere to any specific cropping plan, square, rule of thirds or otherwise. However, in this case I liked how the reflection of the ground water pushed the eye back to the sun. I will give the suggested crop a shot.

I can see why it was a favorite, the strong contrast and the sun in the tree composition are striking. I too vote for a 4x5 crop, but I’d go horizontal.

1 Like

Thanks, John. I liked the idea of both crops but wasn’t particularly drawn to either. I may look at a square crop later this evening.

Serendipitous or not you captured a wonderful peaceful mood with this B&W landscape Chris. the placement of the sun is perfect and I like the way the water in the field directs the viewer to the lone tree and the rising sun. I know you mentioned that you don’t stick to any specific cropping plan, but I could see a little crop from both the left and right sides. I hope you don’t mind but here is a repost with what I was thinking. Just my opinion of course.

1 Like

Ed, this is pretty close to where I got last night. I will wait one more day before making a final crop. So far, everyone’s suggestions have given me pause to reconsider.

1 Like

beautiful image !!! i love the simplicity and the tone !!!

Thanks, Gill .

Chris, I am drawn to the mood of the tree, fog, and promise of the sun. The water adds a striking touch to the upright tree.
The original crop gives a lot of weight to the clump of trees to the right, which seem to be part of another scene. I really like the tighter crops. I find the one by @John_Williams to be very compelling. If you wish to keep some of the trees to the right, the crop suggested by @Ed_Lowe has merit. It comes down to your vision and what speaks to you.

It always becomes a conundrum when presented with so many POV. I am still closer to John’s crop but a bit on the fence as to how much to cut off the right side. Thanks for your valuable insight.

Chris, that is not surprising. We have a lot invested in the treasures that we capture with our camera. Every bit of real estate has meaning to us.

1 Like