THE OLD

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A misty morning
Completely bent by the wind
The rather old tree

Specific Feedback

All feedback is more than welcome

Technical Details

F4, 1/60. iso 800, 24-120 at52mm

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

It’s a beautiful tree, Ben. Very graceful.

I understand why the area in the lower right is bright but I think the image would be better if the brightness there was lowered some.

I like the mood of this picture. It emphasizes the wonderful lines of the branches. I have one thought. I find the green at the bottom of the composition is rather sharp and takes my eye away from the star of the composition. This is what I mean. Just a suggestion to take with a grain of salt. Thanks for sharing this beautiful picture with us.

A wonderful image of a beautiful old Pterocarya tree, Ben!

I love the diagonal composition, with the base of the trunk coming from just right of the lower middle and the branches bending upward again. I also love how you left this opening through which the viewer can admire the wonderful misty atmosphere in the background. There is every reason to return to this tree when the conditions become even more foggy, obscuring more color and creating more mystery…

I agree with the comments about the bright and sharp greens of the foreground, and I think Barbara’s treatment has quieted this down, which better suits the mood of the image.

Talking about mood, you could also consider converting the image into monochrome, using a green filter. That immediately results in a more misty mood, in which trunk and branches really steal the show:

Perhaps monochrome is not your thing, but I think it certainly matches your haikus!!

Cheers,
Gerard

2 Likes

I like Gerard’s black and white version.

1 Like

This is quite lovely Ben! The tree is obviously the main star of the scene and the graceful lean has added some much character and mood. The spring greens are also wonderful and I love the light fog in the BG. My only suggestion would be the same as @Barbara_Djordjevic. I always love your woodland images along with your haiku.

Beautiful image Ben. That tree has so much character. My initial thought was the green in the FG was a little too “neon.” I see that others agree. That’s what I love about NPN. All the helpful tips from others. I like @Barbara_Djordjevic version. @gerard is another interesting interpretation. Almost looks IR.

@Ed_Lowe , @Michael_Lowe , @Don_Peters , @gerard . @Barbara_Djordjevic . Thank you all for giving me thoughts for a better my approach to my images. Barbara @Barbara_Djordjevic Your rework I liked immediately . Gerard @gerard , your approach give me idea’s for future images .Don @Don_Peters , what you see as bright is as I have a good look at it, dirt on my lens.
Michael @Michael_Lowe and Ed @Ed_Lowe as always I love your comments and suggestions .

That’s wonderful character there Ben! I like all the ideas, but @Barbara_Djordjevic’s version stands out a bit for me if I have to choose.

1 Like

What an interesting subject. I like how it leans and leans towards the outward side, as though pushing against the outside. I’m glad you didn’t center the tree but centered its trunk. Had it been centered the feeling would have been different.

I prefer the original although I can understand the idea of desaturating a bit to emphasize the foggy look. Some of the vitality has been lost though. I might do a small crop off the bottom.

Thank you for this comment, Igor