Fine Lines

Little pond next to Hverfjall (Iceland). Although soft (cloudy) afternoon light in summer, I was able to work out the texture of the blades of grass well, by using hard contrast. At least this is my opinion, but I’m routine-blinded of course.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Was the image post-processed accordingly? The original was a JPEG in highest possible resolution, captured with a full-frame DSRL.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Did I choose the right composition? The curve of the edge water-grass

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
One single shot,

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

hs_instapictures

Welcome aboard, Helge and a fine and intriguing first post. I really like the B&W choice and the high contrast presentation. I might clone out a white spots in the background, but otherwise, looks good. I am curious why you would shoot in JPEG rather than RAW. RAW takes the most advantage of the data and gives the most latitude for processing.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work and reading your insights into the work of others. Welcome.

Thanks a lot for your very quick posted critique! Yes, exactly for such comments I was hoping for, when subscribing to this network. I was totally focused on the grass itself and overlooked to clean up the background… thx again!
As you recognized, this was my first post, just a try, I didn’t dig deeper yet.
Why not RAW? Of course you’re right! I’m shooting in RAW since one and a half years now, before that I tried to save storage space. This thought is very useful of course, if comparing travel costs to Iceland (I’m based in Austria) and the price of a simple external hard drive… :crazy_face:

Nice! I like the texture of the grass and the strong graphic curve that they make. I second Harley’s advice to remove the spots in the background (and shoot in raw). I tried playing around with some other crops but none were as good as what you have here.

Thank you for your comment! “none were as good as what you have here” --> I feel honored! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Helge, welcome to NPN and to the Weekly Challenge. This is a fine first post. The grass shows up very well with your high contrast processing. The curved edge creates a nice sense of movement. Personally, I’d like to see just a bit more detail in the water along the top (dodging the grays but leaving the blacks alone). Let me third the recommendation to shoot RAW because that maximizes the information that your camera offers. As an example, there are many times using RAW, when the camera (which shows a JPG interpretation) says highlights are blown but they’re not.

As an aside, the weekly challenge changes every week and runs from Sunday, 12 AM to Saturday 11:59 PM, Eastern USA time (GMT - 5 hours)

Thank a lot for your comment!
“when the camera (which shows a JPG interpretation) says highlights are blown but they’re not”: yes, I’ve recognized this already, for this reason I’m shooting in RAW now since one and a half years. This photo was taken before that…