Grass Blades at Walden Ponds

This is one of my many ICM images. This one has really strong color and sparse blades. I like it for the crisp lines, range of colors, and color blending of the blurred elements.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D610
70-300mm @ 300mm
ISO 100
f/25
1/4 sec

7 Likes

A very nice abstract and I like the colors especially on the RH side. As far as abstracts go, if this fits your vision for this scene, go for it. Looks good as presented…Jim

1 Like

Took the words right out of my mouth! Very nice.

I’m also glad to see you’re using a D610 and the 70-300mm, that’s my setup too! I haven’t been able to convince myself to get a new body for 7 years now.

1 Like

Matt: I don’t do a lot of ICM because I just don’t think about it but I like the effect in general and this image in particular. I think you handled the colors very nicely. Well done.>=))>

1 Like

Matt, I am not an ICM guy, but this is one of the better ones I have seen. It makes a nice dynamic abstract and is quite well executed.

1 Like

@Jim_Zablotny, thank you.
@Brent_Clark - Thanks! The set up works well for me but I frequently wonder if I would enjoy an 800 series Nikon for the upgraded functionality such as the histogram preview and the much higher resolution. It’s just so much money! If you’ve considered it what keeps you carrying the D610?
@Bill_Fach and @Harley_Goldman - I’ll convert you two into ICM guys yet! I just love it and will keep on posting them. Glad you enjoy this one.

Such a light, airy feel to this wonderful photo Matt. I like the color range along with the diagonal flow of the lines. Also a very pleasing composition. I also have the same thoughts about the Nikon 800 series and . . . converting @Bill_Fach and @Harley_Goldman into ICM. . . at least give it a try! Nicely seen and executed.

1 Like

@Matt_Lancaster I was actually thinking of making a separate discussion post about this! Here’s pros and cons I’ve come up with so far. I’d be really interested if you have any additional thoughts on this.

Reasons to upgrade (I’m mostly looking at mirrorless or the D850):

• Histogram preview
  • More megapixels to simulate longer focal length after cropping
  • Focus Bracketing
  • Focus Peaking
  • In body image stabilization
  • Touch screen
  • Way better looking screen in general

Reasons to not upgrade:

• Bigger files require more space and beefier computer ($$)
  • $$$$$$ - body, lenses, batteries, different cards, filters, etc.
  • Sloppy composition with the intent to crop doesn’t actually sound fun to me
  • Way worse battery life (on mirrorless cameras), resulting in my backpacking pack actually being heavier from carrying more batteries
  • I am madly in love with the Nikon 70-300mm lens

It just feels like everything there is a “nice to have.” I’m already generally able to make the images I want with what I have. I’m sure I’ll do it eventually - maybe as more lenses come out for mirrorless cameras they’ll be able to convince me.

1 Like

@Brent_Clark, thanks for breaking your analysis down to the pros and cons. I think I agree with all of yours and would add the pros column,

• Greater resolution = larger print potential and finer detail
  • Compatible with all my current lenses

I presently get around the absence of a histogram preview by evaluating the image on the LCD before shooting and adjusting exposure, then evaluating the histogram after shooting and that seems to work well enough.

All this is really small potatoes; the overarching issue for me is the cost - I just can’t justify it unless I make a huge sale. Like you said, the better camera body would be nice to have but for now is still out of reach. Maybe I’ll look into a used model since my 70-300mm lens was used and was a great deal.

1 Like

Matt, the gentle curving lines and variety of colors make a fine abstract with a good sense of movement. I like the green in the lower right, but wonder how it would look slightly desaturated.

1 Like

@Matt_Lancaster I love the depth you created with this image. A lot of ICM images end up feeling flat. Not here! The effect of almost a haze in the background is excellent. I also love the way the grass is side lit. If you wanted to bring this out even more you could slightly add texture or selective contrast to those front two blades of grass. I kind of think it’s perfect as is thought. Cheers!

1 Like

@linda_mellor Thanks for your encouragement and support.

@Mark_Seaver Thanks for your comments. I’ll take a look at the saturation of the green elements.

@Dan_Wood Grateful for your comments. Agreed about the depth - @Alister_Benn has influenced me with his philosophy of the primacy of luminosity and contrast. This image is a good example of contrast at the edges creating transitions. I’ll look into your suggestion of boosting that a bit.

Great image, Matt. Perfectly executed ICM, love the colors and the lines. Well done!!

1 Like

Wow man, this is awesome!

1 Like