Fire to the west

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Arriving at Lone Pine California from Death Valley, I saw the smoke draining over the Sierras from a controlled? burn in the national forest.
This was my first time to see this scenery and the smokey atmosphere was engaging. 330mm f/11

This has quite an eerie ominous photo Dick. . . .and a bit sad to see. Having said that, I do like it a lot. Thanks for sharing it.

I quite like this, Dick. It has a real eerie, mysterious mood. Real minor, but I might clone the bright bits in the canyon and maybe the small snow patches at the bottom of the far right canyon. This one works really well for me.

Moody and mysterious! I like what you captured here, Dick. My only suggestions are minor because this is pretty nice as is. The brighter spots in the shadow of the canyon catch my eye just a little so my thought is to tone them down just a little. There are a couple of smaller patches of snow almost half way down the right side that I might clone out. Beautiful image.

Excellent. I was about to say lovely atmosphere but I guess actually that isn’t the case. The effect though is undoubtedly atmospheric.

This is wonderful and I immediately get the “smoky” feeling of it. Very nicely processed, too. The thing that bothers me is not something that can be fixed in post and it’s just my OCD kicking in: I wish the sloping ridge line of the second mountain from the back had not intersected with the sawtooth patterns of the furthest mountain… I still think it’s a great image. I wish I had taken this. Thanks for sharing, Dick!

This is absolutely beautiful and full of mystery. I immediately connected to Tolkien and Mordor.

This is really gorgeous Dick. I love the way the light is striking the mountains along the right edge of the frame. There are lots of interesting details like that for the viewer to appreciate here. I think your processing has done a great job of creating a soft mood as well.