Fireweed Mountain

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback is appreciated

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback is appreciated

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
I originally took the photo as a horizontal landscape but cropped it down to this ratio.
14mm f 5.6 ISO 640

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@trevorrochephotography

Hi Trevor. I quite like the concept of this shot but, please forgive me, I don’t feel it has been executed that well. By that I mean that I think it is hard to derive depth in this shot.

To a certain extent, I think this could have been alleviated by where you positioned your camera. I’m speculating here but if you had raised the camera by 30cm or so and taken half a step to the left, it may have offered a better perspective. I’ll elaborate. By looking a bit more down on the flowers you may have gained a bit more of the area behind the flowers and thus some midground. This would have drawn you through the image more.

Standing to the left a bit woukd have also placed the peak between the flower heads and balanced the shot a bit more. As it stands with two prominent plant heads and the peak ofn the right, it appears quite right heavy and thus a bit imbalanced.

All of the above said, I think the processing has been nicely handled :slight_smile:

Hope that helps. Shoot any questions across if you have them!

Eugene

1 Like

I like this one and presented. Fire weed is an often ignored flower because it can be very abundant. This is more of a flower shot with some habitat rather than a strict landscape photo. I like the water drops and you certainly can recrop the photo to get more of a landscape type of shot. …Jim

I like the mood of this shot - maybe just a touch too dark in the fg, but I guess it is meant to be a bit sombre with all that mist. It gives a good feel of the day and the place.