First flight

I am fortunate that I am only 8 miles away from two peregrine falcon nests. This particular nest has two babies this year and they just fledged yesterday. This is a shot from this morning. These babies are in my favorite state right now with white downs still scattered all over their bodies.

The BG cliff is some kind of ice plant with red flowers that are currently in full bloom. The perch is somewhat artificial. One local guy who also enjoys bird photography put this perch up in the offseason and the falcons love it.

D500, 500mm, 1/3200, f/4, ISO 4500 (Auto)

@adhikalie

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.!
1 Like

Adhika, this is a fine catch of this falcon taking off. The oof colors in the background coordinate well with the bird’s colors adding a touch of warmth to go with the drama of the takeoff.

It is nice.
I would remove the stick, the OOF BG makes it easier, but I suspect you are more of a purest.
TY for post

just superb handling of the exposure on this one. I like to detail, color in the background is amazing. But I do agree that the stick is distracting and would be a better composition without it.

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver, @stevenm, and @David_Schoen!

I have no problem cloning out the branch but I feel that it doesn’t make any sense because the pose is a take-off pose. Without the branch, the splayed feet would make no sense.

A beautiful bird and an excellent action capture of it, Adhika! The exposure is perfect and the colors and detail are excellent. The background colors happen to be complimentary which really adds to the overall effect. As for the stick, I am in complete agreement with you. It’s a real life action shot and it wouldn’t have the right context without the stick. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Great as is. Believe the perch is essential.

Adhika: If this was merely a bird portrait getting rid of the stick would be OK but for me it helps tell a story about this juvenile taking first steps. I also like the wing position and the facial expression. Many kudos! >=))>