Contemplating breakfast

This is the female peregrine falcon in our area. The yellow OOF background is the blooming mustard flowers on the cliff. All feedbacks are welcome!

Nikon D500, 500, f/5, 1/2000, ISO 2500

@adhikalie

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

VERY cool shot. What’s not to like? Striking. Looks like a wall-hanger to me. I am yet to get one of these beauties in my crosshairs. I don’t seem to ever see any in my area.

I agree with Dave, a wall hanger! Just beautiful. I would love to have an opportunity to capture a shot like this. Wonderful details, and I like that he is on the edge of a cliff, rather than on a tree limb, or fence post. Very nice shot.

Excellent, Adhika. Beautiful detail in the Peregrine and as Shirley noted, the cliff edge location is great for this bird. I also love the geometry of the cliff edge and the way the bird projects over it. I don’t know how far away the vegetation is and I’m sure your settings are predicated on the desire for flight shots, but since you have this available on a fairly regular basis, you might try some shots with more depth of field. I’m not sure it would be an improvement, but it would be interesting to see if having the whole cliff edge in focus did look even better-just something to think about as I love this image as posted.

Excellent color, detail, pose, head turn, depth of field and background. Good use of diagonal elements; including Cliff, bird, and background. No nits here.

Thanks, @Dave_Douglass, @Shirley_Freeman, @Dennis_Plank, and @David_Schoen!

@Dennis_Plank, that’s a very good idea about having more DOF to the entire cliff. I think I could at least try focus stacking the cliff.

Lovely portrait of this magnificent bird. The contrast of the rock ledge and the distant greens in the background works nicely.

A great portrait. Beautiful OOF background as well. I like it a lot.
In the upper center of the OOF area some small light spots are visible. Insects maybe? If I would change anything in this image, I’d remove these spots.

1 Like