Focused on that Final Approach

I needed to take a break from editing this image from Death Valley so I decided to go see these guys this morning. Not quite sure how this image turns out as this is kind of difficult lighting. I would love to hear your thoughts about it.

Nikon D500, 300mm PF, 1.4xTC, f/5.6, 1/3200, ISO 1400 (auto)

@adhikalie

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Adhika, this is amazing. I was a bit puzzled about your comment on the lighting. To me it could not have been better. The largest version supplies excellent detail throughout in this beautiful descending raptor…:+1::+1:

Although this slightly lean toward blue might be a natural look, I might try a bit warmer tone just for another optional idea. The blue BG looks to be in shadow, but the slightly blue cast to the raptor might be worth a try for a warmer look there. Just an idea and NO nit at all…:thinking:

1 Like

Another beautiful shot of these birds. I think the lighting is great. It adds a lot of dimension to the image with light where it really needs to be. I do agree with @Paul_Breitkreuz about looking into a slightly warmer tone, especially on the bird. Don’t know if it would work or not, but worth a look. Very nice image!

I did a quick select of the bird and only used a Layer> Photo Filter> Warming Filter (85) > 50%

1 Like

Thanks @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Keith_Bauer! Yes, I really like the warming up on the bird. I think it is more representative of the bird as well. Thank you for the suggestion. I will do exactly the way you did it.

As for the difficult lighting, it’s just to get the light hitting the bird at the right angle without having too much of a harsh shadow is difficult. He made a few passes yesterday and this is the only keeper. In most of the images, something cast shadows on the bird one way or another. I am still not quite pleased about the shadow on the far wing and the strip of light on the far leg but I think it adds a little bit of drama to the scene.

1 Like

This is beautiful, Adhika. I just love the position you caught him in. He does seem very focused on either his landing or dinner below, and so it leaves us with a bit of mystery there. The repost does look better, but I wasn’t bothered with your original. Just goes to show there can be improvement, and as we edit our own photos, we (me anyway), need to think through our options. Excellent image.:+1::+1:

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman! Indeed; this is the beauty of having a place like this to exchange ideas and get feedbacks. I am glad to be here. :slight_smile:

You and me both, Adhika! I am so glad that I found NPN. I have grown a lot, and still have a lot of growing to do, but I believe I will, and it because a lot of good photographers are investing their time by critiques of my work, and others, as well as displaying some wonderful images of their own that challenge me in my own work. Happy shooting!

I just can’t believe your good fortune in nailing so many “wall-hanger” Peregrine shots. Super photo. Keep 'em coming.

Terrific flight timing, Adhika, and I echo the excellent comments too. You’re so lucky you have them close at hand, always a pleasure for us to enjoy.

I think the lighting is fabulous, but I can see the angle of it may be difficult to work with. Great hovering/landing pose and the separation between the falcon and background, along wit h the lighting gives this image a 3D feel.

Thank you so much, @Bill_Leggett and @S_Govindarajan! I am glad to have them around. We have another nest that is going to fledge in two weeks or so!

A wonderful pose, Adhika. I don’t know what the original looked like, but to my eye it looks like you tried to lighten the shadows and maybe went a touch too far. The bird’s left wing, in particular, seems to lose a bit of conformation. A great image that’s certainly worth spending a lot of time on. I love the background.