First Light | South Falls | Silver Falls SP | Oregon USA

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was taken just as the sun was rising over the horizon at Silver Falls State Park near Silverton, Oregon. The mist was rising off of the fern covered walls, mixing with the chimney smoke from the nearby lodge. It was so magical and I was ecstatic to see such a site upon hiking only a short way down the path. Only myself, my husband and another photographer from Scotland were there. The golden rays of morning light over this fall were mesmerizing.

Specific Feedback

The tree at the bottom of the falls - is it distracting? I felt that any other angle was more distracting so I put it right in the middle of the bottom of the waterfall so eyes stay focused on the fall and not the trees around the bottom of the fall.

Technical Details

Fujifilm X-T5
XF16-80mm F4 OIS WR
33mm
3/5 sec f/13 ISO 125
In LR, I toned down the highlights and brought out the shadows a bit under Light, punched up the gold (yellow and orange) midtones and highlights under Color Grading. I also used dehaze/clarity/texture and noise reduction.

2 Likes

Hello Sally and welcome to the NPN community. This is a fine first image you’ve posted here. It has a bit of mystical look and feel to it… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Welcome, Sally. I think this is a lovely image. I think you captured something quite unique. I had no idea it could look like that early in the morning. It looks like you had great atmospheric conditions. It’s quite dreamy looking.

I’m not bothered by the tree at the bottom with it falling into darkness there. I didn’t initially notice it when taking in the entire image. I am here to learn, so I’ll be interested to see what others have to say about it.

Thanks for sharing this!

1 Like

Thank you, Paul. I appreciate your input. It was a truly mystical moment!

Thank you, Karla. I felt the same way about the tree - that it wasn’t that noticeable. I asked this question as it was a topic of discussion at our local photography club about whether to photoshop it out or not. I don’t do much editing in photoshop in terms of removing objects photos where they might distract the viewer from the entire image. My feeling is, if it was there, it should be in the photo, or find a different viewpoint. :smiley:

1 Like

@sallyweymouth I definitely get caught in that removal debate sometimes. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Sally, welcome to NPN and the Weekly Challenge.

I agree that you’ve caught a lovely mystical view of this. This post has me thinking that there are many different possibilities here. I could see cropping to just above the tree and to below the brightest yellow as one of multiple alternative views. I think placing the tree in the flow works well at saying that you want to show the tree. (I agree with that philosophy, nature is rarely perfect and that’s part of what keeps it interesting.) I don’t know if there are limits on where you can stand, but another way of handling the tree would be to move it into the darkness on either side of the falls. This sure looks like a place to revisit regularly as you explore multiple views and conditions.

1 Like

Thank you, Mark. The location of taking this shot was from a trail with a railing to keep one from stepping off the path down a steep hillside, basically a drop off. I tried a few different positions but this was the best one. There are lots of other trees and shrubs around and I had to squeeze in there somehow. LOL. Always a challenge to get the best shot without all the greenery in the way. :smiley: Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Yes, I’m on the fence for some of it for my own photography, but in that case I think I would have left it as well.