First light

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I took this image from a hot air balloon flying over Cappadocia, Turkey at the crack of dawn. I wanted to capture the lightness and exhilaration that I felt in that moment. I think that a clean, simple and uncluttered image like this would make a good desktop screen or screensaver because it be almost like a blank canvas. On the other hand, I wonder if the image might seem a bit bland and nondescript.

Technical Details

2 Likes

Hi Alan,
taking a balloon ride over Cappadocia sounds like a great experience.
I like the image because of its simplicity and I love all those layers fading out in the distance.
I think the picture reflects the calm mood of a balloon flight very well.
Cheers,
Jens

3 Likes

Alan, the calmness that you’ve captured here would make a great antidote to much of what goes on on the internet these days. Thus, it seems like a fine screen saver.

1 Like

Wow, a balloon ride over such an amazing landscape. That must have been something! I love the layers here and the lower contrast really convey the feeling of calm and relaxation. One could definitely add contrast to this to make the image pop but I like it as is and wouldn’t change anything.

1 Like

Alan, the experience you had flying in a hot-air balloon is perfectly captured in your image. It is airy, serene, and enticing. You make me feel like I was there in the balloon. I like the layers and homogeneous color palette. My eyes go from the foreground and want to explore every nuance in your beautiful image. When I reach the horizon, I keep searching for more detail. It is a calming place to rest my eyes. The alternating lines from each hill and mountain top are another strong point of your image. The image would be beautiful on a wall or as a screen saver.

I look forward to more tranquil images such as this. Simplicity is a strong asset in a photo. You achieved that very well.

1 Like

Love this image, and the great memories would, for me at least, be a great stress reducer as a screen saver. Well done, Alan!

1 Like

Wow Alan, this is a gorgeous image. I love all the layers and the mist in the valley of the hills. These types of subtle images always make me feel so peaceful. Fantastic job! I can only image how it felt to be up in a balloon looking down that this landscape.

1 Like

I too really love the layers and the monochromatic appeal. I think you could do a very tiny bit more contrast possibly, but I don’t see any reason for it. I don’t think it’s bland, and I enjoy the lighter yellow tone. It’s very different. It sounds like an amazing experience!

1 Like

@Jens_Ober @Mark_Seaver @EgĂ­dio @Tom_Nevesely @J_Fritz_Rumpf @Donna_Callais @karlag

Thank you all for your kind and generously supportive comments. Thinking of and feeling deeply for the Turkish people in the wake of the dreadful disaster that hit their country this week.

1 Like