First light

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

For me, photography is primarily about the light and its effect on the subject of the image. I think it is quite evident why I wanted to capture this scene from a hot air balloon over Cappadocia in November last year. Whilst I feel that it is a striking photo, I wonder if it is unique enough to stand out amongst the innumerable aerial shots that get posted online these days.

1 Like

This certainly works for me, Alan. The light is obviously splendid but I also appreciate the patterns and textures, and it’s fun to hunt through the image and find unexpected little treasures (parked cars in bottom left). Beautiful work.

Awesome that was taken from a balloon. I definitely think you hit your goal of capturing the light and its effect; that side lighting accentuating the ridges, especially that central ridge, does that very well. I too love the scale perspective the cars add; that’s a nice touch.

Thanks for your comments, @John_Williams and @Bret_Edge!

Hi Alan, Yes it does stand out against the normal range of aerials and one of the reasons is that it is a slightly longer lens than your typical ultra wide drone lens. The other reason is that it’s fab! I love photographs like this that reveal the essence of place, they take me back to my first looks through Earth from the Air by Yann Arthus Bertrand…

I can’t suggest anything to improve it as it’s working really well as it is. Perhaps I’d lift some of the darker areas and crop slightly from the right edge but that’s really, really nitpicky and says more about my taste than the picture!

A cracking photo!!

@Tim_Parkin Thank you for taking time to review and comment on this image, Tim. I truly appreciate your feedback.