First Sign + Repost

Updated:

I took took this at Hocking Hills in OH. The goal was to isolate the changing leaves with the waterfall int he back drop. I have contemplated for a few days if I like that the back is out of focus or if I had the opportunity to do it again would I try to bring it in focus also…I kinda settled that I like it this way because the background is more of a secondary element with the three leaves being the primary subject. I hope it isn’t too distracting from the overall image, I liked the play between the waterfall on the left and the greenery on the right almost mimicking a waterfall. As always, open to CC, thats why I’m here!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

It looks like there may be some banding when I look at it on the right hand side, none of that shows on my exported JPEG or the TIFF file. Any ideas why that may be happening?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
ISO 100 / f18 / 5sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

David: This is an intriguing image and comp that I think comes off very well. I think you made a good choice with your DOF although I think a faster SS would have still rendered the water soft and perhaps not have left the hot spot at the bottom of the falls. Nicely conceived and executed. >=))>

1 Like

@Bill_Fach oh yeah, thanks for pointing that out! I went back and did a little work on it in an attempt to tone that down. I have some with a shorter shutter speed but I felt the increased contrast and visual weight that went along with it competed more with the leaves so I opted for this one instead. Thanks for looking!

David: A small but significant improvement IMO. :+1: :+1:>=))>

PS: I edited your title to reflect the repost. It’s always good to do so so that others will know to revisit the image.

David, your choices (soft background, blurred falls, sharp leaf trio) look great here. I think your original post looks fine, in fact, I’d be tempeted to brighten the other parts of the falls, just a hair, but that depends a lot of your monitor settings. As I view this, I see leaf trio as the main subject, but I also see the falling water as critical to setting the stage. I don’t know if it is/was possible, but I can imagine an alternate version where there’s more separation between the leaf trio and the falling water (a higher camera position), creating even more of a corner to corner viewing.

@Mark_Seaver Thank you for the suggestions, I have updated a new version at the top that takes the suggestions from @Bill_Fach and combines them with yours. I think it is an overall better image!

Regarding the change in composition, I’m not sure it would have been possible. The way I had my tripod set up, 2 of the three legs were on the “rail” of a little footbridge and my tripod was extended about as high as possible. With that said, I totally see what you are saying and agree that would be a cool look as well!