Fish abstract

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I grabbed a few quick unplanned photos of a Koi pond in a hotel lobby. This was the most interesting of the bunch.

Specific Feedback

This is my first post on NPN … any thoughts are welcome

Technical Details

4 seconds, f5.6

1 Like

Hi Timbata :slight_smile:

Welcome to NPN! I hope you’ll agree in time that NPN is a great place to grow your photography as well as a great place to share images with like minded nature photographers! :slight_smile:

This was an awesome idea for capturing great colors and patterns via long exposures of fish in a Koi Pond. It was very creative and the results are awesome in my view! :slight_smile:

Thank you for joining and for sharing such a wonderful first image!

Welcome aboard, Timbata! :slight_smile:

Hm this is pretty arresting. I think that for an unplanned shot, it looks pretty deliberate - how ever did you handhold 4 seconds? I guess if the fish moved, it probably didn’t matter if you did, too. I like the motion and the varying colors. Quite a lot of contrast here which adds to some of the drama, but I’d be tempted to ease up on the saturation some. Quite pleasing and I’m glad you decided go join us and add it.

If you have any questions about site navigation or posting, feel free to ping me or any of the other moderators (yeah, I volunteer them all the time, lol). You can do that by using the chat bubble or the private message icon on the user card when you click on someone’s name. Oh and you can hit the chat bubble at the top next to the New Post button to find communal chats like Photo share, Site support and Campfire.

Site Tip - you can reply to multiple people in one post by highlighting any text in their reply and using the Quote function. Another way is to use the @ symbol and choose the person in the list that comes up. Use the tab key to automatically select and fill the name in your reply. Hope that made sense!

Hi Timbata, welcome to NPN! Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the site or the abstract category.

This is a wonderful abstract image! Paint strokes, dancing fire, swimming koi. Just a few things that popped into my head immediately when I reviewed your image. If it wasn’t for the title, I would not have guessed the true subject. The colors and lines set agains the dark background really stand out. I don’t really have any sugesstions to offer. Great work on this and hope to see more from you soon!

Hi Timbata and welcome to NPN. This is very cool! Fish as flames. Way to be creative at a moment’s notice!

Welcome to NPN @timbata and a really awesome image! To be honest I didn’t seen the fish at first and only saw colour dancing on a dark stage. This image with it’s popping colour and motion blur has a lot of energy and I like it very much.

Thanks to all for the kind welcome and offers to help. The thoughtful comments are very much appreciated as well!

I love this image. I have done this with koi also and have had fun results. Every single shot is different and unique. Well done and gorgeous colors!