Fisherman and the Storm

I was driving home from work yesterday near sunset and saw this great storm cloud forming. So I pulled off at the rest stop. I got pretty lucky as it was low tide and a fisherman with a net working in the area. Amazingly he decided to throw the net in pretty good place for my photo.
The only thing I had wished is that the cloud was not touching the right side of the frame. The reason I made that mistake was that I had framed the cloud with good space on the right, but the cloud was breaking apart and moving. By the time the fisherman was throwing the net I didn’t have time to re-frame.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any feedback is welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
gfx 50r with a 24mm lens at f16 or so. polarizer was used.
signs were cloned out of the image

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@photomat76

Yeah, I would agree, but it’s a relatively minor issue. That cloud is just so cool, and the B&W makes it look even more impressive. This cloud is mighty dramatic !!!

I also like the sand ripples, and the way the reflected light from the cloud creates a reflection in the wet sand. Regarding the fisherman, I would dodge the highlights and lighter tones in his immediate vicinity, to create a "spotlight " that draws more attention to him. Currently my eye gets pulled more to the bright highlights on the right side of the pool than it does to the fisherman. But a little dodging around him would give him more attention.

1 Like

LIke this image. Tremendous drama and, as with Ed, I don’t really mind the cloud on the right. I think the most important part of the image is the figure in silhouette. You have done an excellent job of framing him - not poking over the horizon above or the isthmus coming over from the right - and perfectly framed by the water in the background. However, I also agree with Ed that creating a spotlight to draw my attention to the figure even more would strengthen the picture overall. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thanks Ed and Kerry. I took your advice here and tried to darken the pool a bit and create some light around the fisherman. Let me know what you think.

@photomat Excellent. This is much stronger, Matt. But now I’d make one more suggestion. To the fisherman’s right, there is a rock in that little bay, the visual mass of which is almost as strong as the fisherman. If you are open to it, I would suggest cloning it out. The rock is very small in the context of the entire picture but , as I say, its visual mass is sufficient to compete with the fisherman’s.

1 Like

Thanks Kerry .

Matt… I liked the original, it is very strong, and you do have the ability to see tonal depth. That said, the redo better grabs and focuses my attention.