Fisherman on Lake Victoria

I was in a small (think a little bigger than a canoe) motorized boat heading back after a morning of photographing birds in the Mabamba Swamp off of Lake Victoria. My 100-400 zoom was on the camera when I noticed this fisherman gathering up his net. I sensed the opportunity to catch a shot of him throwing it, which he did. In the rocking boat, I managed to train my lens on him and get off a series of shots in burst mode. Unfortunately, since the boat I was in was rocking so much, none of the shots had anything near a straight horizon. I had to straighten and then crop this photo quite a lot. Iā€™m wondering whether people think the composition works after the crop.

Second photo is with changes suggested by Dick Knudson

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any, but specifically, anything regarding the composition

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 7D Mark II, with Cannon EF 100-400mm zoom
In aperture priority, 1/2000, f 7.1, ISO 400

I think this is a really dramatic scene. Thanks for bringing it to us. The action of the net, the drops of water in the air, and the concentration of the fisherman, are all real pluses for this image. Beautifully framed.
I played with it a bit ā€¦ brightened the dark man and boat, applied Smart Sharpen, cloned out a few highlights on the water, and darkened the sky a bit.

1 Like

Thanks Dick, and I think all the changes you made were improvements

I definitely like the scene! Great action moment, no problems with your crop. No easy circumstances for taking a sharp photo with a tele zoom. Nice light, and interesting color in the sky.
I prefer the second image presented, after the changes.

1 Like