Flaps up and down & REpost

Bald Eagle Family snapshot at sunset

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 1000, 100-400 plus 1.4X, f8 2000th, handheld, 55% of full frame, A7R3

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Both wing positions are perfect, David. And you got both age, too. I have two suggestions regarding processing. First, there is a halo around both birds. If you lift up shadows/bring down highlights selectively, the mask has to be more precise. The second one is more of a question. The light seems different on the bird and on the BG. The light seems to be much harsher in the BG. It also looks a little “splotchy”. Is it processing?

Hi David,

I would try to tone down the highlights and selectively play with the contrast. Nice poses and it is good to get the different stages of maturity in one shot. Poses are good too. Well done…Jim

Not sure what to say after reading the two previous comments. For me, I like how the eagles stand out from the background. I like the alternate wing position and the age difference. I can barely discern a halo over the back of the adult, but otherwise my old eyes don’t see it. I like the background, though maybe remove the vertical white line (?tree) behind the juvenile eagle. Very nice capture.

repost with new processing using select and mask. Thanks for feedback.

I must say I prefer the first version. I like how the eagles pop more against the darker background. Also, the trees seem to have a more natural dark green color and now there seems to be a cyan cast.