Flash Sunset - Painted Hills

So there I was, in my trailer about 2 miles south of Painted Hills (to the right of this scene), starting to drown my sorrow over the dense clouds turning the hills totally dowdy at the end of the day. Looked out, and thought I saw some light, so put the scotch aside and drove to the overlook, and this happened for about 5 minutes.
Finishing the scotch was a joy.

Took quite a bit of processing to get the sky, far hills, and near hills to this point, so hopefully not overdone.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Comments most welcome, of course.

1 Like

Are you happy with the result? I am finding that landscape photography is the most challenging to evaluate because there are so many paths one can take in post processing. I like the gray clouds against those warm tones. Maybe tweak down the overall saturation slightly. I find that going fro tiff to jpeg does bump up the saturation slightly. However, this will make a wonderful print and I would be more than happy with this photo.

Thanks, Jim. With saturation reduced a little, the image does not yell so much, just talks. Not a jpg conversion issue … it was yelling in PS as well.

I’m interested to know where you camped. I often miss the best light because I don’t want to drive in the dark.

BLM rough CG half way between the highway Painted Hills entrance. Roughly 2 miles from both.

The color saturation is not a problem for me. I like a lot of saturation (my photos are always critiqued as having too much saturation.) What I would like to see here is more contrast between the sunlit landscape and the shadow. I also feel the sunlight is a little too warm. I have a number of shots like this. One of my favorite weather patterns.

Thanks, @Kelly_Ireland This is a bit washed out. I think I will stick with the warmth, but maybe it is not such a factor, when I increase contrast in the mid section. Also pushed the vignette a little more.

I’m usually in the minority here but I like the added contrast. I understand you staying with the warm sunlight. You were there and you know what you saw and the mood you want to convey. Beautiful shot.