Peeping at the Painted Hills

We were recently at the Painted Hills in Oregon, for a few hours in the afternoon, as we were traveling through. The light was somewhat diffuse and more or less overhead, so not ideal. I was amused by the way the rocky hill was peeping over the foreground and liked the contrast of the red clays with the blue sky. I didn’t enhance the foreground details (too much), as I wanted a dead-pan aesthetic. It just seems to suit the scene.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique is welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

a7r3, 100-400mm @ 100mm (hand held), f/16, 1/320s, ISO 800.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice mix of distinct colors here! The little stones that seem to come from the ‘peeping’ mountain are pretty evenly spread around in the red hills here, which combines them in a way. I think the sky takes a little much space and would consider a crop giving it the same amount of space as the red hill. A small boost in vibrance or some dodge/burn could maybe pop the colors a bit more, but I guess that’s personal too. Like you mentioned, the light is a bit flat. Lower light would give some more depth and color automatically I assume.

Thanks, @Ron_Jansen. I did some limited dodging/burning, but wanted to keep the rather flat look. This is one of those shots that has limited appeal to most folks. Will fiddle with it a bit more.