View of the Painted Hills

This is a different view of the Painted Hills in Oregon. I was shooting with a 400mm lens and 1.4 teleconverter to pick out abstracts and intimate views. Normally these small hills get lost in the larger views. But zoomed in like this it feels a bit otherworldly to me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 1DS II, 560mm, 1/320 sec @ f/11, ISO 160, polarizer, tripod

3 Likes

It’s nice to see a different take on the Painted Hills. I like this a lot.

This is really well composed and conceived. Such a different take that I would never guess that these were the painted hills. I can’t think of a way make this better. Well done and very original take.

Good progression of repeating shapes, each distinct enough to warrant individual attention. The lighter sand sets them off well and the darker streaks remind me of animals that change color to camouflage. Sweet.

Those streaked dark spots make it recognizable as the Painted Hills, but I really enjoy how different the rest of the take is; an almost abstract quality. The way the ridges get smaller as the eye moved up in the frame is nicely leading too. Did you have to reduce the saturation to get this, or was this as is?

I agree with @David_Haynes - an unusual take. I came back to look at this twice just because of that. It really is an excellent composition the way it zig-zags and draws my eye up through the frame . Great balance and subtle palette.

1 Like

@Jim_Gavin, @David_Haynes, @Kris_Smith, @John_Williams, and @Kerry_Gordon, thank you for the kind comments. I really appreciate it.

John, this is pretty much how it looked…just a bit of levels adjustment. These particular hills do not have the vibrant colors of the rest of the hills.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

David, this is thoroughly enjoyable. Those dark streaks and the zig-zag ridges moving into the distance work well as an abstract. As a very minor nit, I could see burning-in or cropping out that thin bright strip along the very top of the frame.

David,
This scene has a wonderful arrangement of shapes and patterns and the textures of the sand in the larger version is quite nice. I also like the earth tones you captured in this image. No suggestions from me.

Brilliant. Others said it well.