Flash Test: Succulent Flower Buds

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Nikon Creative Lighting System is a complex algorithm that can be used to produce excellent results for scenes lit by multiple flashes. I first used 4 SB-R200 with 3 groups set at +1.00, -1.00, and -1.70Ev. Although exposed properly, some of the highlights and shadows were too crisp and harsh. So I added an SB5000 flash that broadcast its light through the softbox cloth and softened up the highlights and shadows.

Technical Details

Z9 105mm f2.8 micro 1 SB-5000 flash at +1Ev, 1 SB-R200 at +1.0Ev, 1 SB-R200 at -1.0Ev, and 2 SB-R200 at -1.7 Ev. (F8 at 1/40 sec, ISO 64) 51 image stack, Levels, full frame…Jim

3 Likes

Jim, this is a masterpiece of technology and skill! When I first looked at the image, I could not believe how tack sharp and perfectly exposed it was, literally everywhere. After reading the technical details, I get an idea of how you made this happen. I wouldn’t change a thing. I just want to see more images like this. Kudos!

1 Like

Very nice, Jim. Perfect exposure, though I could see getting a tad more directional with the flash settings to get a touch more shadow definition, but that’s just my personal taste.

1 Like

Gorgeous! I love the detail here – great mix of stacking and lighting!! Like @Dennis_Plank, I could go with a little more shadow definition, but definitely artist’s choice!

1 Like

Wow, Jim, this is excellent. I love the lighting. Wonderful details and that black BG really makes the subject stand out nicely.

1 Like