Floating

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In looking through my files, I don’t find many pictures that have something small in a big surrounding… I did find this picture of a Chestnut Oak leaf and gall floating on my pond. I have removed an underwater stem and the edge of a lilypad to create a sense that the subject is floating in space, surrounded by stars (actually small bits floating on the water surface, but…)

Technical Details

R5, 180 mm macro, 1/200 s, f/16, iso 800, tripod

1 Like

Surely meets the WC theme of isolation here, Mark. At first glance I thought the surrounding area had been added, but then saw the white spots or floating debris here and there. The leaf and gall are a fine subject with excellent detail, and, a single non stacked item to boot… :sunglasses:

Mark, the floating debris does remind me of stars. An interesting find, and certainly well captured. Nice details in the leaf. I probably would have passed right by this. Good eye.

Wonderful find and presentation!! The composition, detail and tonalities are very pleasing. There is something so special about floating leaves.

The stars are decent for that equipment but eventually you might want to look at a small refractor telescope with a field flattener… :laughing:

Very cool Mark. While I don’t get an immediate response of “isolation,” I for sure see this as glowing leaf floating in deep space - I actually didn’t really think or see this as floating in water - which of course it is. But I think you’ve presented in such a way that we might think otherwise.

I wasn’t familiar with “gall” - had to look it up… so I’m assuming the leaf and growth are all 1 piece? not that it matters…