Flurry of Heron Business

This heron rookery on the Mississippi River in Minneapolis was a flurry of feathered activity before the trees leafed out.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All/any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All/ any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500, 200-500mm f4 lens at 500 mm, f11, ISO 1250 since the D500 is DX format the focal length was equivalent to 750mm

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is a nice look at the nesting environment. I like the way you caught the heron in flight; there’s a dynamic feel to it. A tad noisy at maximum enlargement and it’s unfortunate there’s a branch covering the resting heron’s eye.

Allen, Thanks for viewing and commenting on this image. I agree with your comments. This was my first try-out for my 200-500 mm lens. I did not notice the branch in covering the eye of the nested heron. I appreciate your input.

Nice to catch this shot before the leaves obscured everything, Larry. I really like your composition and you managed a very nice angle that doesn’t look too steep, which is hard to do at a rookery. It looks like there was a dark foreground twig on the left side of the frame just behind the flying Heron. If you don’t mind a little coning, you might want to remove it as it’s a bit of a distraction. A fine image.

Dennis, Thanks for viewing this image and for your comment. I did not know what that dark vertical stripe was. I was using a new long lens and thought it might be from the short depth of field of long lenses. I appreciate your observation and will try cloning out the distraction. Thanks so much.

Dennis, Is this better. It probably still needs work. This cloning in sky is tough.

Very good job, Larry. The trick I use on cloning uniform areas is to use a very soft brush with low opacity. I use a hardness of 0 and an opacity around 30%. Then you can just go over the area multiple times untl it looks good. You can also select a sky color from the image and just paint with it