African Grey Heron

Taken from a boat on the Zambezi River in Zambia. These heron like to sit near the tops of the grasses as well as build their nests high in the grasses. As we floated by, I waited until the bird’s head was clear of the grasses. We also kept quite a distance from the birds as they were sitting on nests, so this one is cropped to about 50% of the original image and is in a 4X5 orientation. I liked the unusual setting and the relative simplicity of the scene. What do you think? Richard

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D 500 and 80-400 at 1/1250, f/8 and ISO 720

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the composition with everything moving up and to the right. I also like your large depth of field that kept the foreground grasses sharp. A very good image.

We saw these guys but didn’t get any good images.
I like this a lot - unusual take.
My only nit is that bit of grass in the upper left - it could go.
Fine image!
Sandy

Bird looks really good. Light is beautiful. The foreground and background are a little busy for my tastes, but that’s a personal preference.

Well done environmental image. It makes one feel as if they were there. Good job on the color. The bird pops well against the foreground.

I like this shot a lot. Very cool looking bird in some very cool looking grass. I sure wouldn’t mind drifting by this scene.