Grey Heron

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5D III; 500mm; 1.4X; ISO 320; 1/640 sec. at F 6.3

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Wonderful catch, with a very pleasing perch and BG for this guy! He must be a first cousin to our Great Blue Heron. I like the hint of detail and the pleasing colors in the BG, and the OOF specular highlights add some life. I wonder about toning down the brightest one to the UR of the group, as it pulls my eye a bit.

Zooming into the image, there is some pixelization in the fine feathers on the back. It doesn’t look like a Moiré pattern with my monitor. I have seen a similar thing using Topaz Sharpen AI on fine detail in a highly cropped image.

1 Like

Lovely photo. I really like the stand up straight alert pose. The back lighting does a very good job of highlighting the long slender beak. I also like the specular highlights adding to the watery habitats these birds normally live and hunt around. Very well done.

Very pleasing lighting and pose. I think the split perch makes it a little heavy on the left side. Just my preference not to the center the main subject.

Hi J Rajput
I think it is a lovely photograph. The shot is peacefulI. I like the framing and detail. On my Mac I had to look for the pixelating on the Heron’s back and I think it is more of a Moire’ pattern. Nice work.
Peter

I like the light and colors in this photo. I like the perch as it frames the heron. I like the light coming through the heron’s bill.

Lovely colours and setting for this Heron. Love the bokeh in the BG. Well done, Cheers, Hans