Great Blue Heron Returning Home

All right, I’ve been following advice given here. Hopefully there has been some improvement.
Nikon D610, NIkon 28-300mm @ 300mm, 1/1250, f8, iso 1600.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Really nice!
Great pose and detail in the heron.
The Bright parts of the BG are a little distracting; it would be nice to dim them a little.
I like your decision not to crop tightly, but to include the nest.
Fine image!
S

Thanks Sandy!

This is really nice, Larry. I like the background just the way it is. It’s not bright enough to be distracting for me and it provides a wonderful sense of place. The pose of the heron is superb. The bird is a bit soft at the largest zoom-I’m guessing the Auto Focus picked upon the maze of sticks at the nest. The only way to avoid that is to be using an off-center Auto-focus point and keep it on the bird as it descends. If you have access to this place regularly, you could probably pull that off, though I always find it difficult. The only thing I might change in processing is to burn or eliminate some of the brighter twigs at the bottom of the nest and on the far left of the bottom edge. Very nice work.

Thanks Dennis. Great advice as always. I will try that off center focus point. Makes sense.

Only improvement I suggest is to crop some of the nest from the bottom. The nest doesn’t have enough interest and so just perhaps cropping the bottom fifth or so might help. Good action shot.