Coming Home: Great Blue Heron

Description: Another early morning flight shot of a great blue heron bringing back a stick for the nest. The broken sky, lighting, and curl in the flight feathers are essential features of the comp.

Specific Feedback Requested: How is the comp, and do the shadows look OK? Thank you.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D850 600mm f4 (1/1600 sec. at f6.3, ISO 1250) Levels, adjusted light balance to slightly cool down warm colors, Topaz DeNoise AI, crop for comp.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

A truly wonderful in flight image here, Jim. This looks like a fine art painting… :+1: :+1:

1 Like

A fine flight image. Lighting is pleasing as it is nice and soft. You asked about the shadows. They look fine to me.

Nice capture.

1 Like

Hi Jim
I like the framing and shadowing is very light. So I think everything great.
Peter

1 Like

Jim, lighting and sharpness in this image are super, as is the composition. Very pleasing capture of one of my favorite birds.

1 Like

Hi Jim, nice in flight pose and the shadows look fine to me as well. I like the sky with the faint clouds. The stick adds a nice behavioral element. My only minor nit is the head/eye of the bird seems to be slightly past us or looking away. Nice frame.

1 Like