Honey, I'm Home and I Have a Stick

Description: Back at the rookery, I was able to get this great blue heron bringing a stick back to the nest. Prior to egg laying, they carry moss, and softer materials to line the nest.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 600mm f4 (1/1250 sec at f8.0, ISO 720) Levels, slight adjustment in WB, crop for comp, Topaz DeNoise AI…Jim

Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

1 Like

Jim, this is a fine collection of sticks…with all of the tree branches and the one that the bird is carrying. His position in the frame is excellent and seeing the head of the one sitting completes the story well.

1 Like

Wonderful, Jim. I agree with @Mark_Seaver’s comments and will only add that I first thought of a ballerina posing for you. Such fine form. Very nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

Excellent storytelling here. You got really fine detail with a wonderful pose and wing spread. I really like the composition.

1 Like

Hi Jim
Looks like another fun day. The Great Blue really pops off the sky with great detail. Have to love the little chick pocking it’s head up.
Peter

1 Like

Wonderful composition, environment, pose and detail, and the decisive moment for sure, with perfect wing position just at touchdown. Well done!

1 Like

Ha ! Your description makes me smile, and while reading it the bird suddenly looks ‘proud’ to me :wink: … Nice shot with a matching text. Love it ! Hans

1 Like

Very good, Jim. It’s a great natural history image and technically excellent.

1 Like

Jim, what a shot. Perfect timing, and I just love the title. Wonderful details in the GB, nice placement of him landing and how the sticks didn’t cover the eye. The other GB on the nest is a nice bonus too. :+1: :+1:

1 Like