The Bachelor: Great Blue Heron

Description:

Yesterday I woke up before light and headed out to a small great blue heron rookery. The sun provided some warm, golden light for the session and I took hundreds of shots of birds flying with sticks and a few of birds landing. This particular heron did not have a nest or mate and perched on the peripheral areas of the rookery. I liked the pose with one leg extended and raised crest. A friend asked how such a handsome character would not have a mate. My response was that I was employed to take its picture for a dating app.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500, 600mm f4 (1/1250 sec at f8.0, ISO 640) Topaz DeNoise, crop for comp, Levels, ACR enhance, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, and I removed an orphaned piece of OOF stump on the lower LH edge…Jim
Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

The feather display alone should get him some likes! Great catch that isn’t often seen. Looks like the leg colors are brightened up as well or maybe it’s because he isn’t up to his butt in water and weeds. Terrific light, too. Cloning a few branches out would make him more dramatic, but that’s all I can come up with. Thanks for getting out and sharing.

1 Like

Sweet light and I love the pose and composition, Jim. This should work in the dating app.

1 Like

Very enjoyable light, pose, detail, and facial expression. I think Herons are a difficult subject; you did a great job.

HI Jim
Sounds like a great day. I believe the Blue is still a juvenile and not quiet up to having a mate? The framing and detail are vary nice. Maybe you could look at rebalance the morning light. This is what what DxO Photo Lab thinks it should be.
Peter

1 Like